Snapchat Videos Lead Investigators To Man Accused Of Setting Fire To Minnesota Police Station



BRECKENRIDGE, Colo. — Videos posted on Snapchat by the suspect of himself setting fire to a police station in Minneapolis Minnesota are ultimately what helped investigators track him down and arrest him in Colorado over the weekend, according to a criminal complaint released Tuesday afternoon.

Dylan Robinson, 22, is accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail into the third precinct police station and setting a fire near a stairwell in Minneapolis during violent riots on the evening of May 28 that erupted after the death of George Floyd.

Robinson appeared in federal court in Denver Tuesday afternoon following his arrest in Breckenridge over the weekend. He attended the hearing by video due to the coronavirus pandemic. During the hearing, he spoke very little, mostly sticking to yes or no answers to the judge’s questions.

Video from an external security camera at the third precinct station on the evening of May 28 shows several people lighting incendiary devices. One person in the video was identified as Robinson, the criminal complaint says. In the video, he’s seen lighting a device and handing it to another person who then throws it at the building, the complaint says.

According to the complaint, later in the surveillance video, Robinson is seen tossing a device at the building. 

Law enforcement members also found a Snapchat account believed to belong to Robinson in which a live video was posted at 9:23 p.m. on May 28. In that video, several people are seen making Molotov cocktails. In parts of the video, Robinson turns the camera around to show himself, according to the complaint.

A video uploaded on Facebook, which was originally recorded through Snapchat, shows a person later identified as Robinson setting a fire outside a first floor stairwell on the west side of the third percent, the criminal complaint says.

On June 9, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) released stills from the videos and asked for help identifying the suspects. The next day a woman contacted the ATF and said the suspect’s name was Dylan and that he had gone to school with her son. 

She provided investigators with his Facebook page and said he had already deleted some photos, according to the complaint. The woman told ATF investigators she hoped they found him because he “also did AutoZone” and had posted videos on Snapchat….(Read more)

Sponsored Links

Comments are closed.