Uncategorized

Scary Warnings Issued About Popular Children’s Treat: ‘Avoid Eating or Touching’

By

A Florida mom is warning other parents about the potential dangers of a trending new snack after her son ended up in the hospital after eating it. Now, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is following with a similar advisory.

Racheal Richard McKenny shared on Facebook about her son’s frightening incident after he ate the snack called “Dragon’s Breath.” The popular treat is infused with liquid nitrogen, which allows you to blow smoke after consuming it. It also goes by the names “Heaven’s breath” and “Nitro puff.”

After McKenny’s son Johnny ate the cereal treat from their local mall, he began to experience a cough. His cough then became more consistent and eventually progressed to him having difficulty breathing.

Johnny was taken to a local firehouse where he was given an albuterol treatment and an IV before being transported to the hospital. Johnny’s breathing continued to be labored until he was given a shot of epinephrine.

Thankfully, by the time he reached the hospital, he was doing much better. McKenny attributed the liquid nitrogen smoke from the Dragon’s breath cereal and her son’s asthma as the cause for this scary incident.

McKenny wants others to learn from her mistake and is urging them to not allow anyone with even just a mild case of asthma to eat this snack. The FDA has now issued a statement advising about the possible side effects of consuming liquid nitrogen.

“The FDA has become aware of severe — and in some cases, life-threatening — injuries, such as damage to skin and internal organs caused by liquid nitrogen still present in the food or drink,” the agency said in a statement. “There has also been a report of difficulty breathing after inhaling the vapor released by liquid nitrogen when added immediately before consumption.”

“Liquid nitrogen, although non-toxic, can cause severe damage to skin and internal organs if mishandled or accidentally ingested due to the extremely low temperatures it can maintain,” the FDA said. “Inhaling the vapor released by a food or drink prepared by adding liquid nitrogen immediately before consumption may also cause breathing difficulty, especially among individuals with asthma.”

Comments are closed.