World

Over 500 boys ABUSED at TOP Catholic School. Full Report Just Released.

By

As many as 547 former students of the Catholic Regensburger Domspatzen choir school in Germany were abused physically, and in some cases sexually, over a period of 70 years, a JUST RELEASED independent report alleges.

Ulrich Weber, a lawyer tasked with shedding light on the Regensburg Cathedral abuse case, speaks at a press conference at which the release of the final report on the case was announced in Regensburg, Germany, Tuesday, July 18, 2017. The report has found that at least 547 members of a prestigious Catholic boys’ choir in Germany were physically or sexually abused between 1945 and the early 1990s. Allegations involving the Domspatzen choir in Regensburg were among a spate of revelations of abuse by Roman Catholic clergy in Germany that emerged in 2010. (Armin Weigel/dpa via AP)

The 440-page report, commissioned by the Regensburg diocese, found a culture of violence across the school, from pre-school classes, for children aged from 8 to 11, to boarding houses for older children.
Described as “a hell and a concentration camp”, the report’s co-author lawyer Ulrich Weber said at a press conference Tuesday.  “Many of them called the time there as the worst of their lives, marked by violence, fear and helplessness.”  Of 547 students, 500 said they had been the victims of physical violence, such as beatings, while another 67 said they had been the victims of sexual abuse. Some had experienced both.
“Reasons (for physical violence) were misconduct or poor performance of the students, but also arbitrariness by the educators”, the report said.  Forty-nine people, including school staff, are alleged to have taken part in the abuse, nine of whom are accused of sexually interfering with the children. It is not known if a criminal investigation will begin.
Reports of abuse at the German school first emerged in 2010.  The report and investigation was commissioned in 2015.

Father Hans Zollner, a Jesuit priest from Regensburg who is a member of Pope Francis’ commission to protect children, set up in 2014 to help combat clerical sex abuse, told Vatican Radio that the independent report was an “important step forward.”
The investigation showed that Bishop Rudolf Voderholzer of Regensburg “has taken seriously all the allegations, that he did not shy away from all that would ensue,” Zollner said, and his actions “will bring at least the chance of some justice for the abused.”
Allegations of historic child abuse in Catholic institutions have repeatedly emerged across the world in past decades. In early 2017, an Australian report estimated about 7% of Australian priests had been accused of abusing more than 4,000 children in Catholic churches and schools between 1950 and 2015.

Source: ABC News

 

Recommended for you

Comments are closed.