Politics

Breaking: U.S. Pulls $200 Million in Aide Money

By

The U.S. has pulled $200 milllion in aide money from Syria and will use the money elsewhere.

The money was supposedly going to stabilization projects.

From time.com

(WASHINGTON) — The Trump administration is ending funding for Syria stabilization projects as it moves to extricate the U.S. from the conflict, citing increased contributions from anti-Islamic State coalition partners.

U.S. officials said the administration notified Congress on Friday that it would not spend some $200 million that had been planned for Syria programs and would instead shift that money to other areas. Nearly all of that money, initially pledged by former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in February, had been on hold and under review since he was fired in March. A small fraction of that amount was released in June.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized discuss the changes publicly before a formal announcement, expected later Friday.

They said the cut will be more than offset by an additional $300 million pledged by coalition partners, including $100 million that Saudi Arabia announced it had contributed late Thursday. The State Department immediately welcomed the Saudi contribution, which is intended to help revitalize communities liberated from the Islamic State group like Raqqa.

Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the contribution followed the request from President Donald Trump for partners “to share the burden of promoting stability in Syria to safeguard the military gains” achieved against IS and to secure its defeat.

“Many coalition partners have made pledges and contributions in recent months and the United States appreciates all partners who have stepped up to support this critical effort,” she said.

Still, the U.S. move is a sign the administration is heeding Trump’s demand to end U.S. involvement in Syria and reduce its commitment there.

Recommended for you

Comments are closed.